I’m taking off work tomorrow, and I have vague plans to make truffles all day. I suspect I lack most of the useful knowledge, skills, and tools – but I have about 4 pounds of chocolate, and how bad can that be?
So I’m pondering possible flavor combinations. Let me know what you think.
1) Black Garlic. I got some as a free sample from Marx Foods to review on my blog. So far I’ve made three savory things, and I should make a sweet for comparison. Even the sweet recipe sample on their blog is a truffle – only they just roll the chocolate in a coating of garlic, and that sounds nasty.
So here’s the plan – make garlic butter, add extra salt and maybe some hard cheese. Swirl enough semi-melted chocolate into the butter to make it more like a buttery chocolate center than a center of butter. Make rounds, cool. Dip in dark chocolate
Topping to distinguish them from all others: I’m torn between a quarter of a pecan or some sweet paprika.
She recommends enrobing in a dark milk chocolate, so I’d need to buy more chocolate to make that happen. La la la!
If my skill is up to it, I think I want to decorate these with a drippy swirly, rather than a coating.
3) Masala truffles – I have black cardamom, instead of green. So I think I’ll crush a couple instead of steeping them whole.
Dust with curry powder (and toasted mustard seeds?)
I’d need to buy coconut… and then figure out what to do with the rest of the bag.
5) Almonds – smash some almonds, mix them with the filling
dark coating? milk coating?
dust in cinnamon/confectioners sugar
6) Spicy – center with chipotle, cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
decoration – If I stud it with a clove, do you think people will know not to eat it? Probably not. Ummm… I could tie it with a strip of cayenne pepper like raffia, but that’s still not tasty. Demerara sugar! And the extra sweet will help moderate the spicy.
7) ginger – I have ginger juice and powdered ginger. Does this also need candied ginger?
decoration – I think powdered ginger on the outside might be too strong, so how about these be the ones rolled in cocoa powder?
- candy thermometer
- good milk chocolate
- heavy cream
- little paper cups